News:

NEW! Log into forum with your social app. :)

Main Menu

Basics of stained glass design

Started by Admin, November 04, 2022, 10:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Many folks looking for design aspiration for a stained glass project often hit a "roadblock" with an uncertainty to their own hidden ability. If this is you it's always the shortfall of your goals trying to come up with the "perfect" design and often settle for an existing pattern or concept found elsewhere.
Good news is... You can create a totally new design if you follow simple rules!

• Ignore failure and keep a positive attitude.
  • Learn to walk away and literally sleep on it.
  • Keep distractions to a minimum whenever possible.
  • Start with a plan that begins with a simple sketch.
  • Ask for opinions of your concept along the way.
  • Trust your untapped abilities!
Confidence is the key to success!!
Trust your will to succeed and accept corrections along the way... This is why erasers were invented!

I will add more to this thread with personal experiences on design. Will be back...
I'm back.

A good example of coming up with a design concept is as I mentioned earlier "start with a plan and a simple sketch".

Clients: Wife wanted something Oriental while husband wanted Art Deco and both liked a nautical theme.
At first this was a bit of a challenge so I started out with a sketch using a bordering using a Oriental styled border pattern commonly seen in asian decor. Then, keeping Deco in mind worked in geometric shells (nautical) with design rules found in Art Deco architecture including proper angles and chevron aspects with flowing symmetrical arches. The birth of this new design fell into place!
Added were custom bevels (at top and bottom corners) that tied into the Deco theme. Last challenge was to create an open background that had some privacy. The textured glass toward the inside of this panel doubled for privacy and also aided the Deco appeal with just the right amount of separation needed to remove the heaviness of the border. The forwarding depth effect was a plus! Colors of teal, smoked peach and opaque grey (outer border) completed the match for the clients color theme. The added blue highlights brought harmony overall...

NOTE: The tops of the shells were intentionally heavy to give a dimensional effect. This was achieved by following the curves at the tops with lead and filling with solder. Construction was all lead using 50/50 solder that blends well with the lead after finishing with traditional cement and horse hair brush polishing. No patina was used in this process. Horse hair brushes will not scratch bevels and is a must when using bevels.

Art Deco Shells

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13